Table of Contents
The organ which gives knowledge of external environment is called sensory organs. Their number of Sense organs is 5; Skin, Ear, Nose, Tongue and Eye. They are also called sense organs. Example:- There are many types of sensors like there is an AC sensor which changes according to the temperature.
The skin is made of connective tissue, its accessory structures including hair, nails, and glands, as well as blood vessels, muscles and nerves. The study of skin is called dermatology, dermatology is the medical specially for the diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the integumentary system. The life span of the skin is 28 days, it also depends on your age. The skin is the largest organ of our body, which is about 5 kg, it is on an average 7% of our body weight.
Functions of skin:-
1. The main function of the skin is to provide protection to our body such as from germs and skin provides protection to our body from UV rays, an enzyme named melanin is found on the outer layer of our skin which provides protection from UV rays. The person who has high amount of melanin are black in color and those who have less are fair complexion.
2. It plays an important role in the formation of vitamin D.
3. It performs the function of temperature control.
4. It performs the function of excretion such that some of the waste material of our body comes out through sweat.
5. It also performs the function of absorption like we apply oil or cream in our body, it absorbs it.
Layers of skin
There are mainly two types of layers of skin, outer layer is called epidermis and inner layer is called dermis.
Epidermis is the outer layer of the skin, blood is not found in it, the amount of melanin is found only in the epidermis, due to which people are black or white.
Epidermis is the inner layer of the skin, Blood is found in this layer of the skin, Wherever our body cuts and blood comes, it comes because of the dermis. The hairs of our body are found only in the dermis layer, it is mainly made up of two layers. It is also used in industrial use.